Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Tuna Salad

Back in the day, when SDI had its offices on Wilshire Blvd in L.A., and I used to commute from Pasadena every day, there was a nice deli on the first floor of the building, where they served an amazing tuna salad plate... I've tried to recreate the flavors of that tuna salad for years, but never quite succeeded. After a while, I just gave up trying and decided to create my own version. And I got help from the most unexpected quarters: George from Seinfeld, form the episode "The Trip", when they're trying to track down Kramer in Los Angeles. At one point, George has a tuna salad sandwich, and wonders if they have put tarragon in it. This gave me the idea to season the tuna salad with tarragon, and I got reinforced in my idea when I discovered a tarragon chicken salad here at Central Market deli section. If tarragon can be used for seasoning chicken, why not for tuna as well?.
So here is my tuna salad:

Ingredients:
1 can solid white tuna in water
1 celery stalk finely chopped
2-3 dill pickle0
1 shallot, chopped (optional, lately I'm not using any kind of onions for this salad, especially if I know there's gonna be leftovers),
dry tarragon to taste
1-2 tbs homemade mayonnaise
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients together, being extra careful with the mayonnaise: you don't want the other ingredients to swim in, but you don't want your salad too dry either. Serve on toast.


No comments:

Post a Comment